sanjana pandit
CoverPhoto.jpg

Flip Bottle

IMG_9168.jpg
flipbottle.jpg
description.jpg
 Concept Ideation

Concept Ideation

sketches.jpg
conceptideation.jpg
conceptideation3.jpg
 PROTOTYPE ONE  This was my first rough prototype made out of foam. Based on my concept ideations, I decided on a symmetrical structure for strong usabality as well as high aesthetics. 

PROTOTYPE ONE

This was my first rough prototype made out of foam. Based on my concept ideations, I decided on a symmetrical structure for strong usabality as well as high aesthetics. 

IMG_4238.jpg
 PROTOTYPE TWO   This was my second prototype made out of 1/8” clear acrylic. I cut concentric circles using the laser cutter and proceeded to glue them together to create a similar symmetrical shape. The texture, however, was not as smooth as the previous prototype, thus the users grip feel was hindered. I liked the translucency this material provided. In addition, the laser cutting method allowed me to create two hollow pieces with a solid middle separating the two units. This prototype was a little smaller than desired.

PROTOTYPE TWO 

This was my second prototype made out of 1/8” clear acrylic. I cut concentric circles using the laser cutter and proceeded to glue them together to create a similar symmetrical shape. The texture, however, was not as smooth as the previous prototype, thus the users grip feel was hindered. I liked the translucency this material provided. In addition, the laser cutting method allowed me to create two hollow pieces with a solid middle separating the two units. This prototype was a little smaller than desired.

 Concept Redesign

Concept Redesign

conceptredesign.jpg
conceptredesign3.jpg
lifesizedrawing.jpg
 PROTOTYPE THREE  This is my third, high fidelity prototype made out of 1/4” plywood. I created this using the same laser cutting method with a plethora of concentric circles. From the last prototype, I shifted my design to a more thoughtful and identifiable one - the side with the smaller opening hole is for water and the bigger opening is for food. This prototype is not translucent, however the texture is ideal. I used the sander to shape its form and create a better texture than before. The black line in the middle indicates where the two forms can be separated from one another.

PROTOTYPE THREE

This is my third, high fidelity prototype made out of 1/4” plywood. I created this using the same laser cutting method with a plethora of concentric circles. From the last prototype, I shifted my design to a more thoughtful and identifiable one - the side with the smaller opening hole is for water and the bigger opening is for food. This prototype is not translucent, however the texture is ideal. I used the sander to shape its form and create a better texture than before. The black line in the middle indicates where the two forms can be separated from one another.

prototype3.jpg
prototype3_1.jpg
 Material Exploration - Spackling onto newly created wood pieces for smoother and more solid feel. Applying Plasti Dip to create a real rubber - like texture and aesthetic.

Material Exploration - Spackling onto newly created wood pieces for smoother and more solid feel. Applying Plasti Dip to create a real rubber - like texture and aesthetic.

spackle.jpg
 FINAL PROTOTYPE   Outcome of final, high fidelity prototype. Based off my second critique, I decided not to change the overall structure, but instead focus on the technical aspects, such as lids, magnets that connect both pieces as well as overall finish. I’m overall satisfied with this prototype, however I do think there was a specific beauty of my third prototype (plywood) that this iteration does not contain. I ran into many issues with the Plasti Dip, thus I believe 3D printing may have been a better manufacturing choice.

FINAL PROTOTYPE 

Outcome of final, high fidelity prototype. Based off my second critique, I decided not to change the overall structure, but instead focus on the technical aspects, such as lids, magnets that connect both pieces as well as overall finish. I’m overall satisfied with this prototype, however I do think there was a specific beauty of my third prototype (plywood) that this iteration does not contain. I ran into many issues with the Plasti Dip, thus I believe 3D printing may have been a better manufacturing choice.

final.jpg